I Am Moving

Please take the time to visit and bookmark my new personal site, EvanSamuels.wordpress.com, where you can find all of these transcriptions and more as I will be phasing this page out over time. Thanks.


Sunday, February 24, 2008

Minor Leaps - Jonathan Kreisberg




Here's another one from Jonathan Kreisberg, this one off the album Unearth with Aaron Goldberg on keys. As the title suggests, the tune is based on Coltrane's "Giant Steps" but in a minor tonality. All of the maj7 chords are now minor chords. Another addition is a 16 bar interlude (Dmaj7 to Gb7) which begins the song and also is incorporated into the form - two cycles through the "Giant Steps" changes then interlude. So kind of an AAB form. The melody is full of lines outlining arpeggios and chromatic ideas for navigating the many changes. Very good for practicing some fast playing over lots of keys.

4 comments:

guitzilla said...

Evan, Thanks so much for posting the transcription. I've been struggling with it myself & decided to see if anyone did it - very nice job. How accurate do you think it is? There are a few notes I thought were different but that could be my ear misleading me. I would love to know how he approaches a melody like this. Also - what method do you use for transcribing? Again - thanks!

André Santos said...

Hi there, i've just finished transcibe the solo on this tune! eheh

I've transcribed the intro too but i've got the voicings a little bit diferent.

Cheers from Portugal,
André.

Anonymous said...

That´s a great job...
I think that the C note of the chord from the 5th bar its a C#... I´m not sure!

keep the good work!!
Eduardo.

Crisjazz said...

Hola, soy Guitarrista Colombiano, latinoamericano, recien encontre tu transcripcion y me parece genial. gracias por ella,